Self-Direction is an OPWDD Home and Community Based Waiver (HCBS) Service that empowers individuals with developmental disabilities and their families to design and manage services through a plan/budget based on their individual needs and goals.
A Self-Direction plan/budget allows individuals the flexibility to choose the right supports and services, empowering them to lead their best lives possible. With a Self-Direction plan/budget an individual can:
- CHOOSE to live at home with family, or in a home of their own.
- Pursue meaningful employment and volunteer opportunities, or participate in other activities (camps, community classes, joining a health club, recreation leagues)
- CHOOSE the staff YOU want to work with a schedule that works best for YOU
- Enjoy meaningful relationships with family, friends, and members in their community
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle
To learn more about Self-Direction, talk to your Care Manager and Regional Self-Direction Liaison.
You can learn more and find your Self-Direction Liaison on OPWDD's Self-Direction website at www.opwdd.ny.gov/selfdirection.